Update 31 December 2017. Apple brings forward iPhone battery replacement offer at S$38 from 30 December 2017. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/apple-brings-forward-iphone-battery-replacement-offer-9821002
Update 30 December 2017: Apple to replace iPhone 6 and up batteries at S$38 (usual S$118) as an apology. https://www.apple.com/sg/iphone-battery-and-performance/
- Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by S$80 — from S$118 to S$38 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.
- Early in 2018, we will issue an iOS software update with new features that give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone’s battery, so they can see for themselves if its condition is affecting performance.
Are you thinking of replacing the battery of your slowing-down iPhone 6?
Are you deciding whether to get a new but expensive iPhone 8 or X?
Thanks to this WSJ article and video, the decision is made.
So, Apple admits it is intentionally slowing iPhones with weak batteries.
iOS 11 detects worn out batteries and slows down power intensive apps.
They do this so that your old phone won’t suddenly shut down.
Now I know why my iPhone is getting so slow… What’s NEXT?
Before the news, I was already hunting for battery replacement.
1. Apple Service Singapore S$118
The first place to check out is none other than Apple in Singapore.
WOW! S$118 to get a new battery for my old phone.
Is there a cheaper alternative? I asked around.
2. Phone Repair Shops S$40 to S$80
Yes, some phone repair shops offer battery replacement from S$40 to S$80.
Someone recommended the S$40 one at Toa Payoh near the bus interchange.
I was ready to go there, yet hesitant to let a stranger pry open my iPhone 6.
I want to resell my iPhone 6 in pristine condition, you know.
Then I watched WSJ video post… there is a third solution.
3. External Power Bank Case S$39.90
A casing with an external battery built-in may be the best solution.
I searched Qoo10 and found this…
At the time of posting this article, 21 December 2017, the price is
Which iPhone 6 battery replacement option will you choose?
- Apple Service Singapore S$118
- Phone Repair Shop S$40 to S$80
- External Power Bank Case S$39.90
I think I will pick option 3 for now.
FYI. In the meantime, I have a temporary replacement for my iPhone 6 and it’s an Android.
~ from the Journal of Adrian Lee
PS: If you are thinking of buying my 128GB iPhone 6, let me know your offer.