I was updating an ecommerce blog when I noticed something bad.
The tags for every post were suddenly missing! Simply disappeared!
I suspected a few possibilities but turned to google for quick help.
Here is what I did to restore the the missing WordPress blog tags.
This is a bunch of chronicled journal. Skip to the end for answers.
- Reset all plugins and changed another theme. Did t work? Nope.
- Installed WP-Optimize. Processed to clean up extra data. Nope.
- Installed WP-DBManager. Repairedwordpress database. Nope.
- Removed Tag cloud widget from the content side bar. Not related.
- Removed custom Menu. This is my own wild guess. Still no hope.
- Installed Remove Tags Taxonomy. Whole admin tag menu hidden.
- Deleted Remove Tags Taxonomy to bring admin tag menu back.
- Installed Mass Delete Unused Tags. Deleted all tags in tag menu.
- Discovered Web Ninja Auto Tagging System > 2 years old. 2010.
- Deleted Web Ninja Auto Tagging System which is used currently.
- Installed Strictly Auto Tags. Retagged all posts. Worked! But…
- Tags like product description and product size created. Not good.
- Installed Auto Tag. Retagged all posts. All tags disappeared again.
- Back to Strictly Auto Tag. Tweaked setting. Again same problem.
- Re-installed Auto Tag. Retagged all posts. Again tags disappeared.
- Install Tag Generator. Activated it. It said “Can’t generate tags”.
- Re-Installed Web Ninja Auto Tagging System. Retagged all posts.
- All tags disappeared again. Now I suspect the Ninja was a culprit.
- Used Delete Unused Tags again. Deleted 500 tags in admin menu.
- Used Strictly Auto Tag again. Re-tagged all posts. No choice but…
- Deleted “product description” tag in the admin menu. Worked.
In conclusion, the causes of the tag disappearance are as follows…
- Web Ninja Auto Tagging System I relied on, is not working now.
- Very similar is Auto Tag, which is supposed to use a Yahoo API.
- Lesson learnt: Never trust a plugin with no updates for 2 years.
- Strictly Auto Tags is the next best plugin till I find another one.
- I will also be keeping Mass Delete Unused Tags for future use.
Is there any better mass re-tagging WordPress plugin I missed?