This is a journal of the process I went through to set up my business at home.
UPDATE 2 March 2016: Still happily working from home since I wrote this article on 7 March 2013.
– I want to use my HDB home address for my business.
– I want to use my HDB home as a home office.
THE 2 SCHEMES:
– Home Office Scheme…
– Home Based Small Scale Business Scheme…
HOME OFFICE SCHEME:
– The address can be used for business registration.
– Must install one 2-kg ABC Dry Chemical Powder fire extinguisher to the office area.
– Must install one single-station smoke detector in the office area.
– Allows a maximum of 2 non-residents staff.
– Owner-occupied concessionary property tax rate continues to apply.
– All business income earned are subject to income tax.
– An administration fee of $20 is required.
– The approval granted is valid for 5 years.
– HDB will send the renewal notification.
HOME BASED SMALL SCALE BUSINESS SCHEME:
– No employment of staff.
– The Address cannot be used for business registration.
– No approval is needed.
This is not what I want. I want the address.
– Go to e-application Online Business Licensing Service (OBLS).
– Get ready SingPass and Credit Card.
– Can be submitted before or after business registration with ACRA.
– Print out the Application Status “Approved with Payment” and proceed to register/update business registration address at ACRA website .
– Advertise products and services on HBiz website. (Interesting!)
APPLYING FOR HDB HOME OFFICE SHEME:
Here’s what I did…
– Copied and Pasted link to the Online Business Licensing Service (OBLS).
– Selected Director/Business Owner.
– – Selected license:
Industries / Business Activities > Services > Theatrical, Video and Filming Services > Video filming and recording services >
– Entered business UEN.
(Found the Unique Entity Number, UEN, here…
– Entered SingPass.
– Filled a form for general information and particulars.
– Filled a form for Home Office Scheme (HDB).
– Checked declaration boxes.
– Paid S$20 with Visa.
– Downloaded a PDF Receipt.
– Received email confirming the application “Approved with Payment”.
MY NEW OFFICE:
– I can now run my small Videography business at home.
– The main activity will be Video Editing on a laptop.
– Meeting clients and video filming will be outside.
– Apply for CPF Employer account. (DONE)
– Apply for corporate bank account. (DONE)
– Update business registration address at ACRA website. (DONE)
– Advertise products and services on HBiz website.
– Install one 2-kg ABC Dry Chemical Powder fire extinguisher to the office area.
– Install one single-station smoke detector in the office area.
Are you setting up a home office in Singapore?
Feel free to leave me a question or share an update in the comment section.