Instead of typing, the fastest way is to copy and paste the file names.
The trouble is, it took time to copy each of the file name one at a time.
Is there a faster way to do it without coding or using an dedicated app?
Here’s how I hacked the system using available software I can access.
There is NO NEED to use the primitive DOS Command Prompt codes.
Copying multiple file names from a folder as text on a Windows PC
- Open File Explorer
- Open Google Chrome
- Drag the folder from File Explorer into Google Chrome URL box
- The list of files in the folder will appear in Chrome, including the Size and Date.
- Highlight the list of file names you want to copy
- It will include the Size and Date which we will remove in the next step.
- Copy the highlighted text
- Open Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel
- Paste the copied text into the first cell
- Select the column with the names only
- Typically click on label A to highlight the first column
- Copy the selected column
- Paste the copied items into NotePad, Word, or whatever you are using to type.
That’s 10 quick steps to copy filenames from a folder as text in Windows.
No need to remember any codes. Just do what you always do on your PC.
Do you know an easier to copy file names?